Today in “Things you’ve always wondered but never thought to ask at the right time”.
I have kicked the sheets clean off my bed before. I’ve smacked my wife in the head and I’ve sent my dog flying. All because of involuntary jerks at the brink of slumber. Scientists think it’s the result of the final moments of a battle between your sleep and waking cycles.
Deep in the core of our brain, a region called the reticular activating system controls our feeling “awake”. Elsewhere, near the point where the nerves from the eyes cross inside your head, the ventrolateral preoptic nucleus senses the cycles of light and dark and shifts our brain to a deep sleep mode.
As your waking motor system teeters on the brink of control at that point just before the VLPO takes over, WHAM, KICK whatthehell?!
Now you know. Sleep tight.
(More info at BBC - Future)
And I’m always tripping over a sidewalk when this happens to me.
the more you know.
I’ve actually always wondered this — I’m always tripping over sidewalks in that semi-dream state.
- thepith reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- apetersen reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- happycloudsky reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- aashayen reblogged this from johnny-cupcake
- alicedang reblogged this from johnny-cupcake and added:
- adramr likes this
- monikakabernabaybay likes this
- serendipitouscindy likes this
- melissa-rose reblogged this from johnny-cupcake
- love-leey likes this
- withlovefromkat likes this
- naahhuong reblogged this from johnny-cupcake
- johnny-cupcake reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- nartyelhsa reblogged this from englishistheartofbullshit
- ellerday likes this
- devilish-bets likes this
- danielrobins likes this
- rainbow-arsenic-pixie-sticks reblogged this from lessaismore
- rainbow-arsenic-pixie-sticks likes this
- artychia reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- missunextraordinary likes this
- cats-and-pretty-things reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- qeurio reblogged this from unabrogable and added:
- sunshjne likes this
- unabrogable reblogged this from 2bpencil
- sirrahnad likes this
- hahadanny likes this
- scienceandbitches reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- scienceandbitches likes this
- pteropus likes this
- whatsthestorylittlebones reblogged this from newcrossinn and added:
- cluemein likes this
- wyssk reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- nundakinz likes this
- 2bpencil reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- benitaruiz1 likes this
- studiomccoy likes this
- greenbean227 reblogged this from ifeelachangeintheair and added:
- theworkinprogressblog likes this
- amberlovex3 reblogged this from fightmebro
- ifeelachangeintheair reblogged this from thesecondmrsdewinter
- theonlyscreamingbanshee said: i remember hearing it has something to do with toxins in your system….from foods and what nots
- parralex0889 likes this
- midnightwanderlust reblogged this from heabuh
- themagnivincent likes this
- johnthelutheran reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- thelittlefox likes this
- whenimreallyathundacat reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- process-effect reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- process-effect likes this